“We see agriculture as a vital part of not only the community and landscape but also the economy ... The money I pay at the farm stand goes directly into my community.” BARBARA ZHEUTLIN, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, BERKSHIRE GROWN | THE BOSTON GLOBE | SEPTEMBER 2015
Berkshire Grown is near and dear to farmers, chefs and Berkshire locals. Its mission is to "support and promote local agriculture as a vital part of the Berkshire community, economy and landscape." Programs serve as a magnet for introducing farmers and chefs to one another and to the community and provide information on grants and loans. Initiatives include:
- Berkshire Farmland Initiative
- Farm-to-Table Networking
- Winter Farmers Markets
- Local Feed for Local Livestock
- Farmer Mentorship Program
- Share the Bounty (see audio/slideshow below)
2015 HARVEST SUPPER
The farm-to-table event serves as a fundraiser for Berkshire Grown and always draws a large crowd of supporters.
SHARE THE BOUNTY
SHARE THE BOUNTY supports Farm-to-Pantry partnerships. Every dollar you donate works two ways:
- It helps purchase fresh food from local farms, which supports local agriculture, preserves open space and strengthens our local economy.
- The produce goes to a local food pantry or kitchen which distributes the food to some of our hungry neighbors.
Your tax deductible donation buys shares in local CSA farms, helping the farmers; then Berkshire Grown arranges to have that farm-fresh food delivered to a local food pantry, helping hungry families in the Berkshires.